Wednesday 18 February 2015

Yarn-fast

Today marks the start of Lent, and I have decided that this year I will try my hardest to give up two of my biggest vices: yarn and chocolate. So from today until Easter Sunday I will not by buying any yarn* (if you've been following me for a while you will know that this will be a struggle), or eating any chocolate (and by chocolate I've decided I'll be including Nutella, which I eat pretty much everyday, and anything containing cocoa powder).

In the spirit of Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday), I did do some pre-Lent yarn purchasing - I discovered Araucania Ranco a few weeks ago and it is lovely, but discontinued. I bought a couple of skeins in my local yarn store last week at full price, but then saw some on eBay for under £3 a skein, so bought another skein of red and three undyed skeins, which I'm hoping to dye using Kool Aid in the garden in the summer with my son (how much mess could we possibly make?).


And possibly less in the spirit of Mardi Gras (I think the point of Mardi Gras is to use up what you already have rather than going out specially to buy some!) I bought some Mini Eggs yesterday to get that final chocolate fix for a few weeks.

Mini Eggs: the best Easter chocolate!

Wish me luck!

* I need to add a disclaimer here. I will still be receiving my March and April yarn club boxes from Devon Sun yarns, but they will both remain sealed until Easter.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck! I'm not doing lent, having already given up alcohol, caffeine, sushi, soft cheese, runny eggs and pate I don't think there's much left!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds reasonable, pregnancy definitely allows you a bye!

      Delete
  2. Haha - I like the presentation bowl for the mini eggs. I know those well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might have a small stack of them in the cupboard... Every 6 months or so we have a cull!

      Delete
  3. I cannot wait to see photos of your dyeing exploits in the summer! Can you dye children? I am foreseeing an awesome mess...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you can dye children. I shall try not too. I'm not sure that they will put in so much effort though. But our recent experiments with food colouring have been promising, so there is hope.

      Delete