Tuesday 30 June 2015

Sunny days

Today the weather was beautiful. Pretty much perfect: bright sunshine, warm, the occasional gentle breeze. A perfect day for doing nothing.

Durham Castle in the sun

But nothing isn't generally possible, and today was no exception. Tomorrow I start back at work after a year off, so there was the list of chores - things I'm not sure when I'll next get the chance to do: a couple of submissions to finish swatches for; a couple of patterns to add the finishing touches to; a test notice to write and post. And my son's school taster session, and having a little look over my work notes wouldn't do any harm, especially as both children were out of my hands for the afternoon.

So I spent the morning playing with my daughter and doing easy household things (loading and unloading the dishwasher, throwing several loads of washing in) while her brother was at school, whizzing her round the supermarket while she had a nap so as to make the most efficient use of time.

I probably should have spent the afternoon at home getting on with all the things that needed doing in the house, but instead opted for a quick walk round town to take in some sunshine and an hour in a coffee shop to have a look at a textbook relating to my PhD without the distractions of the house (it's hard going back to work after a fortnight's holiday, never mind a year off), before going back home and getting on with the chores,

I am aware that juggling two children, looking after a house, writing knitting patterns and working at my day job (especially during the intense write-up period) isn't going to be easy, so I'm not sure what will happen to this blog. The frequency of posts is likely to go down, as I suspect knitting and baking may have to take a bit of a back seat once I'm back in the office. But I will try to post at least once a week, which should be manageable. I'll still be happy to hear from you all, so please keep reading, even if it is a little less often - it's probably better that blogging takes a break rather than sleeping!

1 comment:

  1. I miss Durham SO much - it is so beautiful in the sun!

    Reading over your work notes sounds very sensible indeed - here's hoping the first week back wasn't too arduous!

    ReplyDelete