Saturday 24 October 2015

32 things, #11: Knit a striped shawl

For most of the items on my 32 things list, I've consciously sought out a way of crossing the item off my list, but this item is something I got to cross off without planning to: knitting a striped shawl. A few weeks ago I had a bit of a stash clear out, finding some treasures along the way, and off-loading several items that I was never going to use. I also found lots of lovely smooth merino in pretty colours, but none of it in large enough quantities to make a whole shawl. So I chose three complimentary colours: cream, sea green and turquoise and set about knitting the Ex Boyfriends shawl - a pattern designed to use up ends of balls, hence the name.



I followed the stripe width given in the pattern, but made up the order of colours as I went along. The pattern is really easy to memorise - this is perfect knitting group and car knitting. The shawl grew really fast, and I like how dense and squishy it feels in DK weight yarn. The final shawl is lovely and long, and nice and cosy. It's not for me though; it's going to a friend who is about to have a baby. She does lots of crafts, and has already knitted my cloud blanket for her baby for herself, so I thought I'd do something a bit different. I really hope she likes it (otherwise I might have to 'borrow' it back).

Poorly modelled, but you get the idea!

This is definitely a pattern I will revisit. I always have lots of half balls left after finishing projects, and am never quite sure what to do with them. This shawl is a great way of using them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment